October 13, 2016
Everyone is talking about the first Winnipeg Jets game and not thinking about home insurance. However that also means it’s time to do some seasonal home preparation that can help with potential home insurance claims. Each season offers a few things that homeowners can do to help prevent insurance claims and fall is a one of the busier seasons.
- Make sure your gutters or eaves troughs are clear of leaves. When heavy rains or snow comes it will allow for draining to the right place and hopefully prevent any ice damming that could happen in the winter.
- Clean out the garage. Summer time is great for project but that garage fills up fast so if you want to make sure you don’t cause any dents or dings on your cars clean up the garage so you have lots of space around your vehicles. The other advantage is once the snow hits a clean garage will mean you can get rid of any snow that falls off the car much more easily so it does not melt and pool and form ice.
- Inspect all your window wells to make sure they are clear of debris so if snow accumulates and melts it does not pool and seep into the home.
- Take a look at your furnace and get it cleaned and your ducts. Now that the heating season is upon us we rely on our furnaces to circulate air in our homes and we want it to be nice clean air.
- If you can, inspect your roof for damaged shingles and make sure all your air vents are clear of debris so your attic can breathe and vent out warm moist air. If it can’t vent the air you may get frost build up in your attic and when the temperatures get higher that frost melts and causes water damage. That’s not an insurable peril.
- Get your winter tires ready for switching over and make sure your care gets an oil change too for proper winter oil so it starts when you need and want it too as well.
Chores aren’t always fun but if you have the Jets game on use the intermissions to look at a few things and make a plan for what you need to do to get your home ready for the next season. It’s a bit like being a professional athlete, when you are in the season it’s hard to prepare so you use the off-season to get ready. So when it comes to your home insurance plan a season ahead and make sure you’re ready for whatever gets thrown at you, just like the Jets.